Foster Care 

Tehama County foster homes provide care to children who are experiencing a traumatic event in their lives by being removed from their primary caregiver due to abuse or neglect. These children are dependents of the court, or voluntarily placed by their parents. Sibling groups are kept together whenever possible. Families with children, childless couples, single people and retirees are among the many types of people who make wonderful foster families. The commitment ranges from a few weeks to several months or more. Foster parents receive money to help pay for the child’s living expenses and medical care is covered by Medi-Cal. Training and support are provided, and specialized training is offered through a collaborative effort with Shasta College.

Foster parenting choices include:

  • Temporary foster care: This allows you to care for children who need a safe and loving place to live while they are waiting to either return home or be adopted.
  • Kinship Care: Relatives and non-relative extended family members may care for a child in foster care.

If you or someone you know has room in their heart and home for a child, please contact the Child Welfare Services Placement Support Team at (530) 527-1911 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .

Frequently Asked Questions:

What are the first steps to becoming a foster parent? Is the foster care licensing process difficult? Find these answers and many more on this FAQ sheet.

Foster Care Licensing Services:

310 South Main Street Red Bluff, CA 96080

Contact: Child Welfare Services Placement Support Team (530) 527-1911 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .

Caregiver Education & Support:

Tehama County Child Welfare Services’ Placement Support Team (PST) is committed to preparing and supporting foster parents through the rewarding journey of caring for our community’s most vulnerable children. If you are a caregiver in need of support or placement stabilization services please contact the PST at (530) 527-1911.

  • Placement Support Team Trainings & Announcements
    • Meet & Greets - A monthly opportunity for foster caregivers to provide peer support to one another and build relationships with CWS social workers over a casual meal and brief training. Meet & Greets are held each month (except for May, June, August, and November) on the 2nd Thursday of the month at 12pm at the Red Bluff Presbyterian Church (838 Jefferson). Join us! 


  • Shasta College Foster & Kinship Care Education (FKCE)
    • PRIDE Pre-Service Training – Classes are provided at the Shasta College Tehama County Campus. For scheduling information or to register please contact Shasta College FKCE at (530) 242-2382
    • Additional classes on various topics scheduled throughout the year. Please visit the link above or call Shasta College FKCE at (530) 242-2382 for information on current offerings.

Foster Care – Money Matters

  • Foster Youth Education Transportation – Foster parents who are caring for a child that requires transportation to a school that is more than a reasonable distance from the foster parent’s home or outside of the school districts that the foster parent’s home is considered within will be reimbursed at the State established rate for transportation to and from school and extracurricular activities as well as travel associated with parent-teacher conferences or other school-parent meetings.
  • Specialized Care Increment (SCI) Payments - Foster parents receive financial support to help pay for the child’s living expenses. However, on occasion a child’s need may exceed the standard foster care. If you are a caregiver and you believe that the child in your care requires extraordinary care, you may contact your child’s social worker to discuss whether or not a Specialized Care Increment payment may be appropriate. For more information, click here.
  • Kinship Guardianship Assistance Payments (KinGAP) – Relatives who have established guardianship subsequent to caring for a child for at least six months when they were in foster care may be eligible for KinGAP financial assistance. If you are a relative who has been caring for child for at least six months and are interested in pursuing guardianship and KinGAP please contact the child’s social worker. For more information, click here.