What is the role of APS? 

Adult Protective Services (APS) is dedicated to maintaining the health and safety of elderly and dependent adults who are victims of abuse or neglect. APS is a state-mandated service program charged with investigating situations involving elderly or dependent adults who are reported to be in danger due to abuse, neglect, exploitation or hazardous or unsafe living conditions. The goal of APS is to allow the victim to remain as independent as possible. The elder or dependent adult may refuse services at any time. If an adult accepts assistance, Social Workers may design a plan with the client to meet his or her needs. Every case is different with some needing day to day help with activities of running a household while others need protection from financial or physical abuse. APS does not provide long-term case management but attempts to link the individual with appropriate community resources. These may include PASSAGES Adult Resource Center, Mountain Caregivers, Senior Nutrition, Tehama County Public Guardian, Far Northern Regional Center, Tehama County Health Services Agency, Representative Payee Programs, local hospital and skilled nursing facilities, senior housing, law enforcement, Tehama Co. District Attorney, and homeless services.

In addition to an APS Social Worker investigating allegations of abuse or neglect, APS may assist the elderly and dependent population in the following ways:

  • Provide 24 hour emergency response services
  • Mobilize emergency personnel such as paramedics or law enforcement in high risk situations
  • Secure linkage and referrals for other county and community services such as In-Home Supportive Services or legal assistance
  • Advocate for clients in a variety of situations, for example: landlords, doctors, hospitals, treatment programs, other social services
  • Arrange for direct services such as meal delivery or transportation
  • Coordinate and consult with other providers to ensure the best possible service is received
  • Information and Referral: Money management, out of home placement, conservatorship, home care, and more

Who does APS serve?

APS provides protective services to elderly individuals, 65 years old and beyond, and dependent adults 18 to 64 years old that have physical, mental, or developmental disabilities that are unable to protect their own interests or care for themselves. APS services are voluntary as the clients are adults and have the right to refuse services. An adult victim, however, must be the one to refuse service rather than another speaking on their behalf.

What is abuse?

Elder and dependent adult abuse may include but not limited to:

  • Physical Abuse - Pushing or hitting, intentional misuse of medication, unauthorized restraint, causing pain or injury
  • Sexual Abuse - Inappropriate exposure, inappropriate sexual advances, sexual exploitation, rape
  • Neglect - Deprivation of basic needs such as water, food, housing, clothing, medical care
  • Self-Neglect – Unwilling or unable to care, provide for or protect self
  • Financial Abuse – Undue influence to change documents, theft, embezzlement, misuse of property
  • Emotional or Verbal Abuse – Threats of harm or abandonment, isolation, intimidation

Who reports and how to report suspected abuse?

Anyone can report abuse or suspected abuse. APS receives calls from friends, neighbors, family and community agencies as well as mandated reporters such as physicians or those involved in the custody or care of elderly and dependent adult populations. To report suspected abuse call (530) 527-1911. If outside of normal business hours call the emergency hotline at 1-800-323-7711.

If you are a mandated reporter, you MUST report any incident of alleged or suspected abuse, or a reasonable suspicion of abuse which comes to your attention. All reports should be made immediately, or as soon as practically possible by telephone. A written report should be sent within two days by mail to: Department of Social Services, 310 S. Main St., Red Bluff, CA 96080 or faxed to (530) 527-4836 (California Welfare & Institution Code 15630).

Download or print a full list of community resources.